Happy New Year! It's already February, we know! But it's never too late to implement changes in your life that have a positive ecological impact. So here are 10 eco resolutions for 2022 to help the planet:
1. Switch to a Green & Fair Bank - What happens with the money on your bank account? If your bank is not 100% transparent about that, think about switching to a socially and ecologically conscious bank. You can find eco fair banks on GABV or on fair finance guide.
2. Switch to a Green Energy Provider - You are changing the electricity market with your green energy provider decision. You can think of it as a lake and all the little streams coming into the lake determine its cleanliness. Such an "energy lake" consists of a mix of coal-fired power, nuclear power, hydroelectric power, wind power, solar power and bioenergy. When you switch to green power, you ensure that there is more renewable power in the lake, making it cleaner and cleaner over time.
3. Support Local Environmental Groups - Many people say that they don't want to be politically active or don't know how. It often starts small with supporting local environmental groups. Maybe there is an organization that helps protect a parcel of woods near you. Support can mean different things: financial support, volunteering or just sharing their messages and links on social media!
4. Buy More Local - Buying more local means reducing transport costs and resources. And it helps local communities, see below.
5. Buy More Seasonal - You must have heard this one a lot! Seasonal veggies and fruits just have a lower environmental impact.
6. Support Small Businesses - Small and local businesses don't only often take more care where and how their products are produced. Their business directly profits the local community, bringing profits to the local community and helping fight rural exodus, inequalities and tax avoidance schemes.
7. Shop Less - A simple way to live more sustainably. Sometimes less means more and only shopping when you really need something and not when media and marketing want to persuade you, can be very liberating!
8. Buy More Second Hand - This might be a weird tip coming from a brand that only sells new items. But we stand for slow fashion in general and want to support this message as well. Buying used items will always have a better ecological impact than newly produced products. We are actually currently working on upcycling some products, so stay tuned :)
9. Donate to an NGO - If you don't have time to volunteer or if you just want to make an important financial contribution, you can think about donating to an NGO. We wrote about that here already.
10. Eat More Plants - You don't have to commit to a 100% vegan lifestyle to help the planet. Switching to more plant based meals can already have a huge positive impact. Pinterest is full of amazing vegan recipe ideas, so no excuses :D
What are your eco resolutions? What would you add?